Saturday, August 20, 2011

Happy 3rd Birthday Matelyn Kate!

Dear Mattie,

Three years ago, in typical fashion, you arrived unexpectedly - two-weeks early and in the middle of the night. I was unprepared for the instant, total, and completely overwhelming love I had for you.
I was nervous that I wouldn't really know how to be a mom. When you came, I was amazed at how I could love my precious baby girl with more than I knew I had to give.
The first year, we marveled at all of you . . . .smiles, coos, rolls, steps. I would sit and hold you in my arms for hours and just stare at you. No child was as beautiful or as wonderful or as smart or as amazing as this tiny person God has given us.
Your second year was full of personality, as your words began to give us a glimpse into the girl you were becoming.
And this third year has been full of changes, for my girl and for our family. You are growing up. I am so thankful for the caring and loving way you have embraced the role of big sister. I love seeing your face light up and your eyes go straight to your brother when I walk into the room with him.
When I tell you that you are still Mama's baby, you say, "Mama that's silly, I'm a big girl." There is nothing baby about you! You are funny and sweet and smart and independent and super strong-willed. I cherish the times when you wake up in the morning or from a nap all sweet and sleepy and you want to hug and cuddle in my lap.
And have I mentioned you are as silly as all get out? When you get the giggles, there is no stopping you.
It is hard to imagine that the little tiny newborn the nurse placed in my arms has grown into this tall beauty in three short years. But, here you are, taking dance class, and going to big church with us, and taking about your friends, and telling me all the things that you want to do when you are a grown up.
I love watching you learn and grown, and Daddy and I delight in seeing you figure yourself out. I pray that we can help guide you everyday to be the person that God has created you to be.

I am thankful everyday to be your Mama.

I love you Mattie!
XOXO,
Mama

1 comment:

mom said...

What a beautiful tribute to our sweet Matelyn Kate. Wonderfully written, my lovely daughter.